Brown recluse spiders can be difficult to control. For this reason, heavy infestations in the home are best handled by a pest management professional.
In the case of lighter infestations, you can reduce brown recluse spider numbers yourself with a dozen or more sticky traps and some simple sanitation measures.
Here are some good tips:
- Sticky traps should be placed along the edges of walls where spiders are more likely to travel. Several traps should be used in rooms where the spiders are seen.
- One of the most important steps you can take is to reduce the clutter in closets, attics and garages.
- Seal all cardboard boxes with tape, as loose cardboard box lids are a prime hiding place for these spiders.
- Vacuum up or crush any spiders you see.
- The spiders must have a food source. By keeping household insect numbers down through IPM, spider numbers should also decline.
- Make sure doors and windows are sealed tightly, especially those illuminated by outdoor lights.
If you use sticky cards and are not seeing any reduction in the numbers of brown recluse spiders, consider calling a pest control professional.