Barrier spraying is NOT the most effective method of preventing insects from entering a home. Insects have a part in the ecosystem, so measures should be taken to exclude the pests from the home, not kill all insects, as some can be beneficial.
Having a home that is tightly sealed, following good sanitation measures, and checking packages entering the home is the most effective way to prevent insect entry.
Here are some tips to prevent insect entry:
- Make sure all doors have proper door sweeps (you should not be able to see daylight coming from any area around the door frame).
- Window screens should fit tightly and be in good condition (no holes, etc.)
- Caulk any cracks around the foundation and plumbing fixtures.
- Make sure that large openings around outside drainage lines and sewer vents are screened or sealed.
- Keep areas in the house dry and free of exposed food.
- Keep stored food, even pet food, in containers with tight fitting lids.
- Reduce clutter, especially cardboard boxes, as these provide shelter for insects.
- Take trash out on a regular basis, and keep garbage cans tightly covered.
- Trim back any unmanaged vegetation.
For more information on how to keep pests out of your home check out our page on